Friday, August 30, 2013

Starting Out. My first of many 3D printers a true Reprap Delta

My 3D Printing Journey which has lead me to building a number of different 3D printing machines the latest a Reprap Delta design

Background.

3D printer South Africa a true Reprap Delta. 3D printer derivatives, have built own and operate a number of different ones. My father inspired my fascination on how things work, making and creating my very own ideas or derivatives of others good ideas and innovations, so when 3D printing came along I had to know more. After much research I finally settled on a Sumpod (www.sumpod.com) The main reason was that the machine  was universal  and capable of light milling as well as 3D printing even the possibility of fitting a small laser I thought. It had to be the perfect choice. Richard Sum has designed a fantastic product and I know I bought one of his first Sumpod Ali machines. When I received my Sumpod there had been some damage in transit and it was not functional due to several other factors too. It was 8 weeks of weekend time before I got my Sumpod to firstly do some light milling and then some printing. I rebuilt and realigned every aspect of the Sumpod and after 1000's of hours of printing it just continues to produce perfect reproduction after perfect reproduction I start most of my prints at night (bed time) and wake to find a perfect print awaiting me in the morning. . I have redesigned the extruder and nozzle but the rack and pinion X Y design is perfect for light milling. The quality of prints is also very good and the majority of my printing is with ABS and at .25mm layer height with a .3mm nozzle.



Light Milling with my Sumpod


 


Propeller from www.thingiverse.com blades .3mm thickness all ABS
Spool Holder for my Sumpod

This journey has allowed me to successfully build a few different 3D printers with my latest Delta producing some high quality prints, far better than I was expecting. I am busy with the second design of the Delta derivative so decided to share its evolution.
My first Delta This is a true Reprap machine all plastic parts were printed on my Sumpod
 

No comments:

Post a Comment